A walk in nature can be refreshing, but an unexpected brush with poison ivy might leave you itching and irritable for days. The poison ivy plant contains urushiol, an oily resin responsible for an allergic skin reaction. In this brief overview, we explore the basics of poison ivy rash, including its identification, symptoms, treatment, and prevention.
Poison ivy rash basics
Poison ivy is famous for causing allergic contact dermatitis. The symptoms of this rash usually appear 12-48 hours after exposure to urushiol, can include intense itching, redness or raised, swollen skin, blisters, an pain or a burning sensation.
The severity of the symptoms can vary, and the rash may last anywhere from 1-3 weeks. While the rash can be unpleasant, several methods can help manage and alleviate its symptoms. These include using calamine lotion, taking oatmeal baths, using cool compresses, and taking oral antihistamines.
Meanwhile, prevention includes familiarizing yourself with the appearance of the plant and wearing protective clothing. Washing exposed areas of the skin and clothing can also help prevent this rash.
CANhaveTODAY’s products Waters Mist, Soothing Juggernaut, Healing Legends, and Sparkling Rain can aid your skin with its fight against poison ivy rash! Learn more on how they can help by reading our blog.