Peeling or flaking skin is a common issue wherein the body sheds dead or damaged skin cells. However, this process can become faster or more visible due to different factors that affect the skin, including weather, chemicals, and skin disorders. While it may be tempting to pick at or forcefully remove peeling skin, this can lead to further irritation, damage, and possible infection. Instead of doing this, understanding how to fix peeling skin in a gentle manner can be the key to maintaining healthy skin.
Table of contents
What are the root causes of peeling skin?
While there might be numerous reasons leading to peeling skin, typical causes include:
- Dry skin. Dry climates, cold weather, taking hot showers or baths, using indoor heating, and not moisturizing regularly can lead to dry and peeling skin.
- Skin conditions. Issues like psoriasis, eczema, contact dermatitis, fungal infections, or genetic disorders can cause skin peeling.
- Sunburn. One of the leading causes of peeling skin is sunburn or overexposure to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. These damage the skin cells and cause them to die off and peel.
- Allergic reactions. Certain skin care products, medications, or objects can irritate the skin, leading to redness, itching, and peeling.
See related: What are the different types of skin rashes?
Steps to consider to fix peeling skin
- Hydrate and moisturize regularly. Hydrating yourself and moisturizing your skin is a crucial step to fix peeling skin caused by dryness. Using skin-hydrating products that contain aloe vera, shea butter, jojoba oil, ceramides, glycerin, or hyaluronic acid can work wonders.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Sun protection should also be a priority since it causes sunburn, which causes skin peeling. Always wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 and reapply it every two hours.
- Use anti-inflammatory products. Over-the-counter oral or topical anti-inflammatory medications can be a huge help to those suffering from irritated, or painful peeling skin.
- Practice eating healthy. Eating a balanced diet rich in essential fatty acids (omega-6 and omega-3), vitamins (A, C, and E), and minerals can help improve overall skin health and resilience, reducing problems related to peeling skin.
- Try essential oils or essential oil-based products. Essential oils from lavender, chamomile, frankincense, and tea tree oil can be helpful in the case of peeling skin. These oils have moisturizing, soothing, wound-healing, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties that can benefit peeling skin. Remember to use them with caution and always dilute them with carrier oils before applying them to the skin. You can also choose to use CANhaveTODAY’s all-natural skin care products for taking care of your skin, with various blends of essential oils and natural ingredients.
If your peeling skin persists or worsens despite employing these methods, it is important to consult a dermatologist. A physician can provide accurate diagnosis and guidance on the suitable treatment your skin needs.
How CANhaveTODAY skin care products can assist you
CANhaveTODAY’s skin care products are made after rigorous research about essential oils and natural ingredients that have properties that can be valuable in relieving the symptoms of various skin conditions, including peeling or flaking skin.
The Sparkling Rain moisturizer is an exceptional moisturizer with a formulation including chaga mushroom extract, grapefruit essential oil, and shea butter. This combination works together to help deeply hydrate the skin, manage dryness, and prevent peeling. This exclusive Chaga moisturizer with the infused grapefruit essential oil helps disinfect while moisturizing which makes it a great companion for dry, peeling skin, but also very useful for those public washroom stops or activities touching dirty objects. Be confident! Be free!
The Healing Legends salve includes myrrh, bergamot, and frankincense essential oils. These oils are ancient “legends” known for their wound healing, skin regenerative properties, anti-inflammatory, and moisturizing properties, making this salve an amazing option for helping treat peeling skin.
Although all CANhaveTODAY products contain tea tree oil, Waters Mist has the highest concentration of the said oil with added lemongrass essential oil and cinnamon essential oil. This combination offers immense cooling and soothing for the skin with its anti-inflammatory, moisturizing, and healing properties, making this salve great for providing relief for peeling skin.
This unique salve includes essential oils from frankincense, arnica, and cypress, which combat inflammation, pain, itch, and fungi, and restore the skin. With these properties, Soothing Juggernaut can help soothe irritated and painful peeling skin caused by fungal infections.
Dealing with peeling skin
Peeling skin can be a distressing condition to go through. It can be caused by various factors, including dry weather, skin disorders, sunburn, or reactions to certain objects or products, but you can take steps to protect yourself from these factors and prevent your skin from peeling. You can also use essential oils that possess various properties that can benefit your skin.
Some of your options include CANhaveTODAY’s essential oil-infused all-natural products that might contribute significantly to your journey towards smooth and healthy skin. Always consult a dermatologist or a skin care professional if the condition persists or worsens despite using these products.
If you have peeling skin, you can use moisturizers, hydrate regularly, and use an anti-inflammatory product. These can help soothe and relieve the peeling skin, including the painful and irritated types.
Peeling skin can be caused by a variety of factors, including sunburn, cold weather, dry climate, fungal infections, and skin conditions.
You should not force your skin to peel as it can cause further damage like wounds and infections.