If you’ve ever experienced gout, you know it tends to appear suddenly, as painful and swollen as it can be. It is a common type of arthritis that affects millions of people around the globe. Characterized by sudden, severe attacks of pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness in the joints, it is a complex disease that needs proper understanding. Through this article, we will explore this condition, its symptoms and causes. We will also find out the what eases gout, including conventional treatments and how complementing them with essential oils can help manage its symptoms.
Table of contents
What are the symptoms of gout?
Gout usually presents itself in abrupt bursts of excruciating pain, often referred to as gout flare-ups. Most people with gout experience their first attack in the big toe, but it can occur in any joint.
- The affected location may feel warm and appear red, with the swelling occasionally causing patients to mistake a gout attack for an infection.
- The affected joints will feel warm and tender.
- There will be notable impairment of movement and function.
- The pain typically reaches its peak 4-12 hours after onset and may linger for several days to weeks.
- If left untreated, gout can also lead to kidney stones due to the presence of high uric acid levels.
What are the causes of gout?
The main cause of gout is hyperuricemia, a condition characterized by high levels of uric acid in the bloodstream. Uric acid is a waste product produced during the breakdown of purines, a compound found in foods like seafood and shellfish. When the body generates too much uric acid or fails to excrete it efficiently via the kidneys, crystals begin to form and settle in the joints, causing gout.
Factors contributing to high uric acid levels include:
- Excessive consumption of alcohol and sugary beverages
- A diet rich in meat and seafood
- Certain medications like diuretics (chlorthalidone, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, i.e.)
- Family history of gout
- Medical conditions like hypertension or kidney diseases
- Being a male (higher incidence than females)
What eases gout?
Managing gout includes treating acute attacks, preventing future attacks, and avoiding complications. Numerous conventional medications are used to treat gout, like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs; like ibuprofen and naproxen sodium), colchicine, and corticosteroids.
Lifestyle changes like maintaining a healthy weight, staying hydrated, limiting alcohol intake, and avoiding purine-rich foods should be part of the management strategy.
See related: Which essential oil is good for arthritis?
Can essential oils help ease gout?
- While medication plays an important role in managing gout, natural remedies like essential oils are also potentially beneficial due to their anti-inflammatory and pain-relief properties. Let’s talk about some essential oils that have these properties.
Frankincense oil. Frankincense oil is noted for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Boswellic acids found in this oil reduce inflammation and can aid in alleviating the pain and swelling during gout attacks.
- Arnica oil. Arnica oil is another potent essential oil renowned for its pain-relieving properties. Applying it topically on the affected area can help ease the pain caused by gout.
- Cypress oil. Cypress oil also has excellent anti-inflammatory and pain-relief properties that can help relieve the symptoms of gout.
- Cinnamon oil. Cinnamon oil has properties that can help soothe the pain associated with gout, and its powerful anti-inflammatory capacity can also help reduce swelling and redness.
- Lemongrass oil. Lemongrass oil is notable for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. This oil can possibly help with easing gout symptoms like redness, swelling, and pain.
The application of these essential oils, diluted with a carrier oil, can complement conventional medication and lifestyle modifications for patients living with gout. However, it is important to remember that not all individuals may react to essential oils the same way.
An alternative to individually applying these essential oils is to use a blend containing all of them. CANhaveTODAY’s skin care products, Soothing Juggernaut and Waters Mist salves, combine the potent benefits of several essential oils, which may offer relief for gout symptoms.
Soothing Juggernaut’s mix of frankincense, arnica, and cypress essential oils can be useful complements to conventional gout treatments.
Waters Mist salve combines the remarkable essential oils of cinnamon, lemongrass, and tea tree, making it a potential ally in fending off gout symptoms and may offer relief.
Knowledge and management are the keys to easing gout
Gout is a painful but manageable disease if diagnosed and treated promptly. Awareness about symptoms, catching the early signs, understanding the causes, and seeking an appropriate treatment plan can significantly help you if you are suffering from gout. Furthermore, natural treatments like essential oils provide additional support by helping alleviate pain and inflammation, enhancing the quality of life of those battling this condition.
Gout flare-ups last anywhere from 3 days (if treated) or 7 days (if untreated) to 14 days.
Gout swelling can last from 3 to 14 days. The gout attack peaks within 12-24 hours of the onset of symptoms.
You can get rid of gout crystals by lowering the amount of uric acid in your body, which involved lifestyle changes and/or medications. Consult your doctor for treatment options.